Riviere Sands Haven Holidays is close to many castles see below for some of them.
Remains of medieval castle, the association with the legends of King Arthur stem from the 10th century tales of Geoffrey of Monmouth, who’s 'History of Britain' suggests it as the birthplace of Arthur. Other legends claim that Tintagel is the site of Arthur's Camelot. Evidence of mining from Roman times; by the 5th century Tintagel was a stronghold of Cornish kings. It appears that the castle was not in use for long as the hall was roofless by the mid-14th century. Restricted opening times and entrance charges apply.
Island site housing religious retreat and fortified castle. Following the Norman Conquest, the abbey was granted to the Benedictine monks of Mont St Michel in France. In 1473 during the War of the Roses, the Earl of Oxford held the island under siege for 23 weeks. During the English Civil War, Royalists held the Mount against the Parliamentary forces of Oliver Cromwell until 1646. The island can be visited by boat or at low tide via a long causeway from the mainland. Restricted opening times and entrance charges apply.
Intact Tudor coastal artillery castle. The circular stone tower enclosed by a lower curtain wall was completed in 1539, to guard the entrance to the River Fal. In 1646, during the English Civil War, the castle withstood a five-month siege before finally surrendering to Parliamentary forces, the last Royalist position in the west of England to fall. Restricted opening times and entrance charges apply.
Well preserved remains of 13th century circular shell-keep. Once a luxurious residence of the Earl of Cornwall, it became ruined in the years after the English Civil War. Restricted opening times and entrance charges apply.
Remains of small Tudor Device fort. One of a pair, this small two-storey Device fort was completed in 1540 to guard Fowey Harbour. Garrisoned by Royalist troops during the first part of the English Civil War (1642-6), it was in ruins by 1684. Pressed into service yet again during the 1800s, it was abandoned by the end of that century. Free and open access at any reasonable time during summer months.
Ruins of an early 13th century castle. During the 13th century, Richard Earl of Cornwall, younger brother of Henry III began to rebuild the castle in stone. The castle was used for many years as an assizes and gaol. Restricted opening times and entrance charges apply.
This year has been a record year for Holidays in the UK Next year is expected to be even better.
Reserve your holiday online today and BEAT ANY PRICE INCREASE